The Foster Service at Portsmouth City Council attends and hosts a number of recruitment events throughout the year across the city, to offer advice and guidance to people interested in becoming a foster carer for the council and providing a stable family home for a child who needs one.
If you are interested in fostering, please come along to one of our upcoming recruitment events, where you can talk to our highly qualified staff and current foster carers who will answer any questions you may have, and share their experiences.
We offer a monthly drop-in session (usually the last Tuesday each month) where you can have an informal chat with our social workers and foster carers, who will provide you with all the information you need and tell you about the wonderful rewards that are available:
1. Drop-in session at the Civic Offices reception area in Guildhall Walk, Tuesday 28 April 2015, 7pm - 8.30pm (presentation starts 7.15pm): you are most welcome to simply pop in and there is no need to book.
2. Fostercare Fortnight, June 1st-14th 2015.
3. Spinnaker Tower Event: Thursday 11th June 2015, 7pm - 9pm, Free Entry to Spinnaker Tower, complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits - again, there is no need to book, simply come along on the evening and learn all about becoming a foster carer.
You could be a foster carer:
- if you have a spare room
- if you have the commitment to care for a child or young person
- regardless of your marital status or sexuality
- whether you own your home or rent
- if you are an adult (there is no upper age limit)
- if you work full time – providing family link or supportive lodgings care could suit you
- whether you live in Portsmouth or the surrounding area
The council’s fostering service was assessed as ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted in September 2010. Portsmouth offer competitive rates, mentoring, training and development, supervision and networking, including out of hours support.